Health Advantages of Using a Standing Desk
For the last few years, standing desks are all the rage. Many office workers swear by them, claiming health benefits from living longer to improved energy levels. Is it all just a fad, or is there truth behind the hype? Let’s find out.
The Dangers of Sitting Too Much
You may not realize it, but just by sitting too much, you can be putting your health in danger.
According to the Mayo Clinic, sitting too much is linked to numerous health concerns, including high cholesterol levels, high blood sugar, high blood pressure and excessive body fat around the waist.
Moreover, an analysis of 13 studies found that sitting for more than 8 hours a day with no physical activity poses a risk of death similar to that posed by smoking or obesity.
Let that sink in: sitting for more than 8 hours a day can be as bad as smoking or being obese.
The Health Benefits of Using a Standing Desk
With a standing desk, you can avoid sitting for hours every day and the myriad problems it causes.
Specifically, there are six main health benefits of using a standing desk:
- Reduce back and neck pain: according to a study by the CDC, using a sit-stand desk for four weeks reduced upper back and neck pain by 54%.
- Lower blood sugar level: according to a study by the University of Chester in the UK, standing for three hours after lunch reduced blood sugar spike by 43%.
- Improve mood and energy level: from the same CDC study, 87% of sit-stand desk users felt more comfortable and energized, 75% felt healthier, 62% felt happier and 33% felt less stressed.
- Increase focus and productivity: from the same CDC study, 71% of sit-stand desk users felt more focused and 66% felt more productive.
- Lower heart disease risk: according to Harvard Medical School, standing more and sitting less can lower your risk of heart disease.
- Live longer: according to a Harvard Medical School study, limiting sitting time to less than 3 hours a day would increase life expectancy by two years.
Ready to reap all these benefits of standing desks? We carry one of the best sit-stand desks on the market: Herman Miller A02 Cubicles with Sit Stand Desk Tops.
Request a quote today, and you can be well on your way to improved health and productivity.