Steelcase

Steelcase was founded on March 16, 1912 in Grand Rapids, Michigan, as The Metal Office Furniture Company, specializing in file cabinets and safes. In 1914 The Metal Office Furniture Company received its first patent for a fireproof steel wastebasket. Since then, the company has been granted more than 1,300 patents for workplace innovations. In 1954 The Metal Office Furniture Company changed its name to Steelcase. Steelcase has been publicly held company since 1998, with a large portion of its stock held by members of three founding families: the families of Peter M. Wege, Walter D. Idema and David D. Hunting.